yousearch, mesearch, now I'm doing some research

Well HHHEEELLLLOOOOOO again to all of you lovely lads, ladies, chaps, ol sports and to everyone else in between and beyond to yet another one of my esteemed blogs of mine that is created by yours truly of all things games and things related to games and what not. So I am back again to continue with a follow up to the previous weeks blog and talk more on what I have planned when it comes to my sections for my topics that I have to chosen to leave my mark on this book of Game Design and Development. So let me not waste any more time and let me get to some excessive Chin waggling.

(when I keep hearing people complaining about what is the point for these blogs, I know that the important truth is that it helps us to learn, improve our Writing skills as a whole and mostly ^)

So in the last Blog that I was talking about with you all I explained that this time around myself and a large group of fellow colleagues are tasked with the writing of a book all about Game Design and Development that will hopefully be a collective success by the end of a few weeks. As I also mentioned I had to choose two topics to write about in the book and as I mentioned I am doing it on the sections of Indie Development and the question of what is a Game world. So since then I have gone and scoured the internet and out in the world in the time that I had to look (which was very limited) and I have some work that will help me when I was getting my research done to help with the writing of my sections of this exciting book (and if this becomes a success then I hope that it will help with a book that I have been trying to write for a while as well as an animated series that I mentioned back a long while ago). So what have I learned for each section, let's chin waggle about that.

(The Arts Matrix on the concept of Indie Development to help with that research)

So the first thing that I looked at in terms of what exactly to discuss for in my sections was on the topic of the Indie Development. With the aid of an Arts Matrix I was able to help break down the contents of what I wanted to talk mainly about for this section (with some editing if it came to it). 

For the research question that I would focus on it would be the likes of How has the Development of Indie Games has helped to shape the Video Game Industry of the last few Decades, the understanding of what is the difference between an Indie game and a Triple A game, The unique Creative Bounds that are found from Indie Games (which includes the different types of Indie Games) and how these types of games have helped to change the world with unique messages they are telling from their games.

The region that I have placed for the study Parameters of this topic is from this concept inception (which has roots all the way back in the 1970s but it could be later then mentioned) up to the present day to help me get a clearer and wider variety to discuss. 

As for the Sources that will help me when I am writing the topics and help with further research I found many useful sites and databases including Google Scholars, Game Design Journals, TU Dublin Library Resource Database, Springer Open, not the actual wiki page itself but rather the resource links that are provided on the page, Sites that discuss Gaming like Polygon, Kotaku, Game Informer and many more, some think pieces and video essay on Youtube and from websites like IndieWorld.com, technologyx.com and Cliqist.com. If I find more while doing further research I can see if they can help in certain sections that I may get stumped on when I get to them. 

Of course it will come with it's own strengths and weaknesses. For the strengths it is helpful that the Indie Game Industry has a large presence in the modern day of Video Games, it can help some very educational and interesting information that many of you and even myself may not know about and it will hale to bring to light the creative work of many different concept and pave the way for many up and coming Game Developers. On the other hand some weaknesses that can be seen would include that could be too much or maybe too little content to break down or to implement into the section, Some of the information on the concept of Indie games could become repetitive or some of it might not be very interesting or full of information to be used and also that their be some information in each section that could be fabricated in some primary sources so I will make sure that i check to see if the information is right through the other sources. 

In the end of it all their will be some special significance to learn from this section as the Indie Games have become more of a larger Industry just from the last few years alone and helps to give us a more in-depth analysis of the industry as a whole, helps to bring a lot more facts and statistics into it all, its a good mix or think pieces and professional writings of people in the industry to help with the research and it has helpful information based all around the world and not just locked to one Location.

(The Arts Matrix on the Concept of what is a Game World that will help with my research while writing about this topic)

Once I had the basic idea of doing the research for the first chosen topic and how I can break down the research for the Indie one, It made the breaking down and looking for the research of what is a Game world that much more enjoyable and much easier (and if needs be I can edit this one down as well to get the full picture or make it easier to manage)

So the research question that I have for this time around are of course what exactly is a Video Game World, when was the concept created and where exactly, how much has this concept grown since it's inception and how it has helped to make select or most Video games so successful just from it's world alone and lastly what exactly counts as a video game world and what doesn't. 

as for the Study Parameters to go looking through for when it comes to this topic I have gone to the timeframe of the mid to late 1970s/80s up to the present day to get a wider idea for what I can research and use for my piece.

as when to the sources that I have used to help with this topic that they are mainly the same as my first Topic but with a few minor exceptions or changes such as other sites like peach-it.com, courser.org, the wrap.com and many more as well as the other content provided from the previous research method that I could use still.

As for the strengths and weaknesses for this group it's strengths include the likes that nearly every game created has a world solely built for that game, it can also bring some very interesting and educational facts, statistics and opinions to learn and can to bring to the the creative works or many talented artists and developers. On the flip of a coin the weaknesses would be that their is a lot of content to break down to a very manageable amount to use in the section of the book, Things might be repetitive (especially knowing that information could be used in the other sections of this topic from my fellow colleagues) or might not be full of useful information and sometimes some information from the Primary sources might end up being edited or fabricated.

Lastly this would have some special significance when it all comes together successfully like given a better understanding of the industry as a whole due to how deep of an industry it actually is, it also has a collective mix of written pieces and think pieces from the professionals in the industry, gives a lot of important facts to use overall and that it is worldwide and not just locked to being all made in one location.

(I told all of you chaps that I wasn't going to wing it as that wouldn't be the Bee's Knees at all)

Overall, after a lengthy and thought Provoking search for many resources and concepts, I feel that I have a good foundation of starting off this writing section that will hopefully all come together to create something truly special by the end of it all. Sure if there is some stuff that can be edited down then I can sort that out but at the moment I am satisfied with what I have created right now. Anyway that is all I have to discuss right now with the topic at hand, now if you'll excuse I am busy busy busy as I gotta get to work. So until Next time.


Cheerio!!!
-Sam H

Comments

Popular Posts