The art of the game: Brainstorming game ideas

Game ideas

Well Hello again my fellow Lads and Ladies and I welcome you again to another one of my blogs that is truly the Bee's Knees. So, as I said before, if you have read my other blogs (which you should have and if you didn't, that's okay, I'm not crying about it) you know that I am in the realm of creating my own video game (yes, it is quite wondrous). However you must know that I can't just go in and just make a game without knowing the main theme or concept of what your game is all about. The main idea that would make your game seem intriguing to the mass audience that you want to make it for is the most important thing for any game. So today I am going to give you a rundown on some different game concept ideas that I have in my mind that I want to show off to you all. So without further ado, let me get to explaining.


Idea 1: A spooky Horror game

If there is one genre of game that I feel has had an amazing renaissance in the last few years, it would be the video game genre of Horror games. Personally I do love the aspect of the creepy and paranormal and the one aspect that really scares me the most is the creepy urban legend known as the black eyed children (they are the source of my nightmares). If I had a concept for this, it would be set in this massive Children's school/ Nursery, where you feel that every turn will lead you to the exit but rather would lead you into a deep and dark scary game that will make you question if you are really there at all or if the concept of going mad could be the most sane thing to do. It could incorporate some Irish folklore with the likes of being pursued and messed with by these terrifying demon/ghost children with completely black eyes, but that it could be that the person that they would call the mother would be the Irish folklore creature known as the Banshee and probably the only way that you will get out of this nightmarish place would be to kill her. It would have a deep, scary and maybe sometimes tragic story. This game concept would be based by concepts of three horror games. The first of the creepy giant never-ending manor or cultist village of the Outlast games, the deep story and scares of Until Dawn and the setting and main concept that started this concept would be the terrifying Nursery sector (the most scariest part of this whole game) of Zombi U. heres a link to more info on Outlast (https://redbarrelsgames.com/games/outlast/)


Game Idea 2: A team of mind-scaping superheroes

So this second idea that I have will also be branched into the likes of the of a animated series that I have been thinking about and coming up with concepts for about 3 years now. Essentially this would be a group of unlikely group of ordinary people who together become part of this elite team of realm travelling superheroes known as the Dream Team. Each member of this group would have a team name that would have a connection with sleep and dreams. Together they would join forces to save the real world, the dream world and the mind-scape from Night Caller, the dark lord of the land of Nightmares and bad dreams who plans to take over the minds of every person in the world with the help of his darkinoids and his allies of dastardly creatures from your darkest nightmares. This cold be the likes of an origin story for this team and the battle to protect everyone. This would have the blend of Ghostbusters or Power Rangers, meets Inception and some of the story would be based on the likes of story driven animated shows of recent years like Steven Universe and Gravity Falls and stuff like that.


Idea 3: A dating Sim

So for my third idea I had this idea for a dating sim that would be more interactive then just a visual novel which is a mix of just standard art pieces that move from time to time. It is also that I want to make it unique and have it play out in any way that you want like you can have a standard relationship, an LGBTQ+ relationship or more weird outlandish and crazy stuff. It would be heartfelt, Funny, sad and maybe sometimes even tragic but all in all the basis of love will never be forgotten. It would be inspired by the likes of many of the most recent Visual Novels that I know about would be games like Dream Daddy, Doki Doki Literature Club, I love you, Colonel Sander and Hatoful Boyfriend. here are links to Dream Daddy (https://www.gamegrumps.com/dreamdaddy/) and for Doki Doki Literature club (https://ddlc.moe/)



Idea 4: A journey for a dream

My last concept that I have at the moment would also kind of tie into a recent idea I talked about but it would also be kind of connected into a concept of the group project I am a part of in my college course. Essentially, the story would be about a kid who doesn't know what his dream is, yet all of their friends and family. So they go on a journey and try and find what their ultimate dream is. Along the way they would meet a bunch of wacky characters and help them with what dreams that they have and it would help to find your kids true dream: to change the world and help with anything that needs to be sorted and could focus on current events (depends on the time period that it's based in). If I had to figure out a game that this would be kind-of inspired by, it would be like the indie games of Journey and Inside. heres a link to Journey (https://thatgamecompany.com/journey/)
All in all, I hope that through my journey of learning about the creation of a video game, I hope that I can make a game that can be thought provoking, interesting, emotional but most importantly is a lot of fun. Well that is all I have to say right now, so until next time.

Cheerio!!    









Comments

  1. Hey Sam
    I love the layout of your blog i think it looks really well.I really enjoyed reading about your game ideas you have some really great ideas but my favourute would have to the dream one I love adventure games and this is like an adventure game keep the good work up and i look foward to reading more.

    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sam,
    I really enjoy your concept for your second game, the shows you listed for your inspiration are very fun but with a deceptively cute storyline that hides a slightly darker storyline underneath. If your game followed suit I think that it would be a great game though even if it didn't the idea of these unlikely heroes having to come together to save the world from a dream monster is a fun and interesting idea. Your dating game idea is a very cute idea and I really like that you want to be inclusive and have all sorts of relationships in the game. However the games you listed are all very different types of games and I was just wondering if your game was gonna be more like Hatoful Boyfriends in the sense that you're going after birds/animals or if you're going after people like in the other two games? Either way I'm sure it'll be great.
    -Casper :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sam,

    I really like the last game concept. A story of 'the journey' and self-discovery could be a very interesting story to experience. There's nothing better than wacky, rag-tag, group of characters going on a meaningful journey. Even better, you can make a game with this concept and use it for your group project as well. Two birds with one stone, right?

    I was wondering what kind of genre you will make this game in. Could it be a interactive novel like this gem: https://www.homestuck.com
    This is Homestuck, a web-comic where you can interact with certain things within the page and learn more about it. You can implement multiple endings with this approach if you do it right. Since it's a game about dreams, multiple endings seems to be a very nice addition thanks to its infinite possibilities.

    I would really love to see how your game is coming along in the future.
    Have a nice day!

    -Zhen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Sam
    I like these ideas for games. They all seem like good ideas for games and it should be fun to make one of them. The horror one is my favourite it seems like it would be fun to play, and I really like horror games it’s something fun to play with your friends. Hope your able to make game
    Jamie Gannon

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts