Operation Breakdown. Overlook. Outline. Konnect.

Operation: B.O.O.K Phase 1: Plan the Approach

Well isn't this just a nice ol' surprise because..... I'm Back!!!!!! yes Hello again to all of you lovely Lads, Ladies, Chaps, Ol Sports and all in between to a new Wave of Blogs Presented by yours truly and let me tell you it is good be back (I mean it will be the most I had some discussion with people in the last month as it had been a rough one but that whole thing can come later) and I am ready to start back again with telling you all about what you can expect to see from myself through the journey of talking all about games. So Without further ado, let me get to Chin Waggling.

(how I envisioned that grand entrance back into this Blog collection just add a top hat to this)

So if I can remember the last time we left off we were talking about the creation of my work in progress game known as "The Dreamer Among The Stars" and the Progress i made on that from conception, from starting as a simple adventure idea all the way up to the amount that I created for the piece. But this time around, that is not going to be the main focus, why you may ask? well it is because instead of creating a new game or continue to work on a new one, the main attention is shifting onto a new project altogether. Instead of making a game, we will be making..... A Book!! yes a book solely focused on talking about Game Design and Development. When I first heard of this concept that we would be making and writing a book it really got me invested or how it will all be set out and luckily it was all laid out for us. To break it down it will be broken into a total of 15 chapters with a few subtopics in each chapter to go with it. It will vary from as simple as asking what is a game to the likes of talking about getting the right audience for your game, getting it out there and many more topics like that. For this myself and the group of fellow colleagues have to choose our topics from the list provided and we had to choose at least 2 beside each other (if I could I would do four sections for the book but I think that the two I have chosen are good for the moment). After a long and thoughtful process and seeing as a few other that I originally wanted to do already been taken I have chosen the two parts of Indie Development and the concept of what is a game world. The reasons why I decided to go with them was that I have really invested myself in the world of the Indie scene over the last few years so I feel where I can let my endless creative writing and thinking work its charm and for the concept of what is a game world is the importance of any game that you are creating whether it is as simple as a busy office, an restaurant or as big as an entire city or country.

(A little example of what I will be talking in terms of Indie Development)

(I will be discussing the importance of What exactly is a Game World) 

So, I bet you are wondering how I am going to go about writing these sub topics and sections. Well the one thing that I am not going to do chaps is just dive head first and just start writing because that would be a disaster. What I am actually going to do is approach it at two different angles, the angle of the stuff that I already know but also in a direction of learning more about these two sections. Sure I have had a fair amount of experience in these two regions as I have played a fair amount of Indie Games and many games with different worlds built for them so I have a fair bit of knowledge at that already. The other perspective is me researching many different articles, Blogs, opinion pieces, Histories and so much more on these topics so I would know what to add to help make it sound more interesting. I will find these by scouring many different books, the internet articles and resources pages of the likes of Google Scholars, resources websites and from my College Library and maybe take very little from Wikipedia but I can use the resource links on those pages to help. While I am discussing these pieces I will also go back to the basic question analysis of using the likes of Who, What, When, Where, Why and How to help break it down further and will make everything so much more easier in the long run. Sure it may seem like it could be easy but you never know.

Then when it comes to actually writing about the topics I will have to plan it out to see where I will discuss certain aspects of the topics provided. I have been provided with an Arts Review Matrix to help me plan out each section so I can see what I have already talked so that I am not over repeating myself on one particular part of the topic (I will hopefully get a clearer vision of this Matrix by my next blog post as I need to break it down to get a clearer vision of how it all works). What I have also been told is to start with the middle sections of the topics and then the Introduction and the Conclusion to the very end. This is the method that I will mainly go for throughout this piece and will be the easiest and stress reducing version to go with. I will also make sure that I don't talk on parts that my other colleagues will be talking about too much (especially in the area of Game World) but I will still acknowledge it for any future writing that they will do if there is mention of the topics I will discuss.

(visual representation for when I am writing my topics that I have chosen with the help of resources, references and my own knowledge that I have so far already)

Well that is all that I have time to discuss right now about the topic at hand and it sure feels good to be back. Now if you'll excuse me I must go and drink my weight in hot caffeinated drinks to help with my many problems and then be prepared for work in both College, this and my Job. So, until the next blog.

Cheerio!!!
-Sam H 





Comments

Popular Posts