The feedbacker becomes the feedbackee

In terms of giving feedback 

Well hello hello hello again to all the lads and ladies and all in between to yet another one of these somewhat lengthy, word riddled, strange slang chin waggling blogs from yours truly. So this one is in similar terms to a previous blog of mine where I talked about the concept of receiving feedback from people in terms of helping us to understand where we can improve, where we are going well with our stuff and what doesn’t work and can be fixed. But today, we are going to be playing our UNO reverse  card and that instead of being given feedback, we are the ones that will be given the feedback to others. So let’s begin in the concept of how to give our own feedback to others.

(Many ways to given feedback)
To me the importance of any feedback is to know exactly what is right from what you made, what is wrong with stuff you’ve made so far and what improvements you can make to such a concept or project that you are making. Personally I do enjoy receiving feedback to the things I made so I know that I feel I have made an effort to my project, pieces or concepts and that I want to do the same for others that want to receive it. There are a lot of methods to giving your own feedback but when I was looking up this concept through articles and stuff there is a line I came across from an article by a chap known as Marshall Goldsmith (which you can check out here: https://www.marshallgoldsmith.com/articles/try-feedforward-instead-feedback/ ) that has an interesting line to think about: “But their is a fundamental problem with all types of feedback: it focuses on the past, on what has already occurred - not on the infinite variety of opportunities that can happen in the future.” This does bring up an important opinion that does have a point to it. It’s important to learn from the past from what you have done already and where you can fix it for the future as author C.S Lewis put it “you can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending”. It’s also noticeable that people don’t personally take feedforeward better then they do with feedback as they would “rather focus on the performance then on the person”. To give an example, just say that I was giving a person feedback on their game concept, yet I don’t talk about their concept themselves but rather on their own choices. The mistake that I made to my fellow maker was criticizing their own ideas then on their layout that they worked upon and to try and find problems in the concept instead of in the person making it. 

What you don’t realize chaps is that we have experienced this through our whole lives and that when it comes to the idea of feedback and praise (which you can find from this link here: https://www.kqed.org/mindshift/34778/the-difference-between-praise-and-feedback ). While it is important to be given feedback to anything that you have made, it is also very important that now and again to receive some praise for all the effort, hard-work, thought and outcome that you have made in the process of working on a project as with a mix of praise and feedback perfectly balances out each other and that’s what we need when the work of a project or concept is the main focus.


Well that is all I have to say on the idea of giving and that I hope it makes sense to you all otherwise all that looking into research and finding was all for nothing. But still I hope you enjoyed it, so until next time.

Cheerio!!

-Sam








Comments

Popular Posts