A vision of the future: the world of my game concept

Well ello ello ello there to all of the Lads, Ladies, Chaps and to all in between to another little story of insight and interest that goes into the mind of a Fancy man (well someone who thinks he is fancy, classy and is a gentleman) into a little blog of mine. So today I will go and do something a little bit different where the last two weeks I have focused on coming up with multiple concepts for a game and the slimming it down to just one and given a bit of detail to it all. But for today I will continue on from those two to put myself into a situation that I would be pitching this game to a big game company in hopes that it becomes the next big thing. So let me break it down to the types of stuff that I would need it to be in order to understand what the game really is. So let me begin.

What's the story morning glory?


So let me start with the simple explanation of what the story of my game will be about. So the story of my game will be about this kid ( it can be of no specifics) who doesn't really know what exactly their dream is, yet all of their friends and family knows exactly what their dreams are. In this time of confusion, they turn to the only place that they feel will help them and that is for them to wish upon a star. So they go off to sit and look at the stars and they pick out the biggest one in the sky that they could see to be their wishing star. They wish really hard in hopes that their dream yet they feel that it doesn't seem to work. When they seem like they are about to give up they begin to notice that all the stars in the sky begin to fall or disappear out of plain sight and that their Wishing star seems to look like it is being taken by some unknown force and they realise without their wishing star that they will never be able to find their dream of their own. So they head out on this big journey full of adventure, magic and emotions to go and find why all of the stars are falling or disappearing from the night sky and to stop what is causing all of this. Along the way they will meet a cast of colourful and wacky characters where you will help them with their dreams of their own and possibly help them out on their journey to find their wishing star and to find out what their true dream is in a sprawling, colourful and wondrous land to help to fix the stars and to find a dream.

(the character wishing upon a star representation)
(who is taking all the stars?)
( a somewhat summary of the kind of adventure the character will go on)

The Genre and the name

(it is important as well as a name)

So with the story out of the way, I want to talk about the type of genre of game that this little idea of mine will be as well as given the name of such game concept. So in terms of the genre of the game, it would be a mix of a story driven adventure, with a mix of puzzle solving added into it. This game would be for all ages, young and old to enjoy. There are a variety of games and media that mix into this kind of concept that have somewhat inspired me would be the adventure aesthetic of a long journey like the game of Journey ( which you can learn more about here on their official site: https://thatgamecompany.com/journey/ , or through the wiki on this game: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey_(2012_video_game) ). For the elements of the puzzle solving with simplistic but unique puzzle would be inspired by the game of Inside (which you check out here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inside_(video_game) and the official site: https://playdead.com/games/inside/ ) and for the kind of aesthetic of the theme and story of this game, it is some-what inspired by a music video for a song called "Starlight Brigade" by TWRP (which is some of the images above and you can check out the video here: https://youtu.be/J9Q3i5w6-Ug ). There are other concepts but I will discuss later.

As for the title to this game it is between two. It will either be called "Rattling the Stars" or "The Dreamer among the Stars"which I am deciding between to choose for the game title that helps to tie into the theme of the whole game's story.

Let's talk about Gameplay

(Gameplay)

So with the story, the name and the genre been given already, it is time that I discuss how will the game actually play. As I discuss it will be a adventure game with elements of puzzles so that means that the it will be about exploration that could be a mix of open world and a bit of linear that goes with it. The main character that at the moment could be created to look like what they want (at the moment, that could change, if I stumble upon some unique designs to be inspired by for the character) and be able to move and jump. It will be unknown at the moment if they can fight or not but it may be a suggestion to add down the road if it needs to be. The world will be interactive to make your way through the world and to solve the puzzles and to help the wacky and wondrous characters you will meet in this magical world. You will collect items in this game that will help and the story will play out as you journey off to find where your wishing star is going to and who is responsible for the other disappearing and falling stars in the sky. For one last concept that I feel would be really cool is that certain sections of the game would be synced to unique types of music as the part of a level or story progresses. If you want more of a clearer understanding of what I am trying to go for with this it would be inspired by the music levels of the Game Rayman Legends which you can check out here: https://youtu.be/yT6XOfy2gEE

Click here if you want to see some game play from Journey: https://youtu.be/YrX5CZrhVGk

Click here if you want to see some gameplay from Inside: https://youtu.be/AgwKs4sJXSw

The Resources

(let me get the checklist ready)

So let's see, I have discussed the basic story, the game play of said game, the genre that it will be based in and the name of said game so all that is left to discuss is the resources that I will need for the game. These are the important aspects that I will need when I am creating this game and to name what I need here is how it looks:

1. The layout Plan: This will the main base as to what I will need to make sure that what I said the game will be about is laid out in the way that I wanted it to be.

2.Plotting out the story: While I have given a basic description of the story, I will have to branch it out to a proper length to equal to the length of the story. the best option I can use for that would be a site to put the story in a decorative structure such as the likes of Twine: https://twinery.org

3.Make a checklist: It is important to keep organised on what you have created already so that you don't make doubles or too many of one thing that you only needed one of.
 
4.The Proper Tools: The importance of learning to make a game in a game engine like Unity is very important to learn how it all works or else all this planning will be for nothing and just dead in the water.

5.Concept Designs and versions: It will be important to make different levels of versions so you know what will work and what to fix for an updated version. Also it will be very important chaps to make some concept pieces of characters or illustrations of what you are trying to explain in picture form (this may be updated later to show some character designs and maybe concept art and ideas for the game world and story)

6. The sound of Music, noises and voices?: Music will also be an important part to this to have a nice and mellow music in the background and to have specific type of music for those important sections of the game that I was talking about. It will also be of note to add sound effects to the character to emphasise them walking, running, carrying/finding something etc and for voices that is up in the air if it needs to be added to characters or not (well maybe for narration purposes possibly?)

7. Trial and error: Just learning from that the important thing is that this will be the first time going in to make a game and doing it by one's self, that it is going to be tricky now and again and I will make mistakes. I'm not expecting to make a game in the levels of the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel or making a huge triple A game to the likes of Death Stranding, or The Last of Us Part 2, but I hope to be part of it one day and all it will take is for me to learn and learn from the mistakes that I will come across in the future and at the end of the day that is all that you can ask for when it comes to bringing a concept and to some "a dream" of their's to life.

(how I hope it all works out)

Anyway that Is all that I have to say on the wondrous vision I have on my little game concept of mine that I hope you enjoyed listening me chin waggling on about for a lengthy bit. Now I best be off as I must now catch a train to a place I like to call Sleepytime Junction. So until Next time.

Cheerio!!!
-Sam.













 

Comments

  1. Hi Sam
    I found your concept idea for your game quite intriguing . Especially with the part about the character helping other characters to find their dreams while pursuing his own in the process, as I feel It makes the main character more like able through his selfless actions, however what if you could find a way to link it into the real world in a way such as the main protagonist (hero) is daydreaming all about this quote"colorful and wondrous land" while working a typical dead end job or even in school studying something he/ she is not passionate about. I feel this will make the character more relate able to the viewer/ player f the game as i am pretty sure everyone has daydreamed about something they wanted to pursue as some point. Besides that I am looking forward to seeing how the game turns out especially the design of the world.

    Best of luck
    Dillon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola Fancy Man Sam,
    I read over your vision statement and your game sounds great. I think the lore behind your game is really good, the whole idea of the main character setting out on this big adventure to find out what his dreams are and his resulting endeavors is actually something that sounds completely original to me and I think its a story that quite a few people might find relatable given where we students are in live.

    In terms of gameplay i'm a big fan of the style you're going for, some of my favorite games like Undertale and Limbo use the same kind of adventure/puzzle style you talk about, and of course Journey and Inside are amazing games as well. It's hard for me to make any recommendations since I cant really find a single flaw in your game, but as i'm legally required to by Moodle i'd probably propose that you could look into the idea of implementing nightmares into your game as a contrast to its main theme of dreams, this could be as enemies/protagonists in the game (think Kingdom Hearts "Heartless") or maybe even just the theme of a single level, anyway great game idea.

    Ciao,
    Adam

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts