A big healthy serving of Feedback

A big healthy serving of Feedback

Well Hello again Lads and Ladies, to another fun and fancy blog by yours truly. So I hope you enjoyed my last little blog on some of the concepts of games that i hope that at least one of them will be good to make into a game. So while that may be all said and done and you think that your game will do successful no matter what, you got to remember that you may not alway please everyone. Sometimes, you may get some feedback that could be anything but positive, an it can be a bit daunting as to what could be the cause of it. That's why today I want to go through the importance of feedback and how a disappointing bit of feedback can actually be a good thing. 


Let me give you a little bit of a personal story. Just this year alone has been a pretty tough year on me through a lot of things and a lot of that is through feedback. It may have been through thinking I was going in the right direction with something and then someone telling me that i did it all wrong, or that I have looking for work and most of the time it would come back saying that we won't be taking your application on any further or that they have gone with someone else and that they thank you for your consideration, or a somewhat personal one that i don't want to talk about. I won't lie a lot of these were really heartbreaking to me and they made me upset and try to figure out where I went wrong but it would always come up short. But then it hit me, that through all of this feedback that was anything but positive, I can learn from this and just try and try again and every time I get something back I would learn from it and from there I would improve upon it for the next time and soon enough I would get it right and that something good will come from it soon enough.
I have looked into some very interesting articles about the concept of feedback including the articles from author of Neil Gaiman's about Feedback with Art (https://www.brainpickings.org/2013/05/14/make-good-art-neil-gaiman-chip-kidd/) and on the idea of why the idea of Rejection hurts so much and how we can overcome it (https://ideas.ted.com/why-rejection-hurts-so-much-and-what-to-do-about-it/) and they have some very interesting  in-depth look that truly is the bee knee's. One of these quotes that i especially like was from Neil's article which went as such:

"when things get tough, this is what you should do: make good art.I'm serious, when husband runs off with politician- make good art. Leg crushed and then eaten by a mutated Boa Constructor - Make good art. IRS on your trail- make good art. Cat Exploded- make good art.... Probably things will work out somehow, eventually time will take the string away, and that doesn't even matter."

It is a very interesting quote as it is an interesting way that someone can help deal with the concept of bad feedback or just any feedback in general. It could be to make art, watch something, go on a walk/run/cycle, meditate, have a nap or do whatever you feel will help out in the long run and make you feel better and to help build you up for feedback in the future.

So anyway, that is all I have to say about the concept of feedback, is that no matter what feedback you receive from anyone, whether it be from a company trying to get a job, from teachers or lecturers or even from any of your friends in general, just know that you can learn from this feedback. So that is all I have to say for now, until next time.

Cheerio!!!

Comments

Popular Posts