Traffic Lights: How do They work? Lab workshop 1

Traffic Lights Workshop

Good day to you Lads and Ladies and I welcome you again to my stupendous blog. Now I know that I said that I would mainly be focusing this blog on the blog on the concept of Video Games, but.... I also have to add some off-topic oddities to the mix of this as well, which is why I have to bring to light on the concept of Traffic Lights. More specifically, how do they work.

Traffic Light are some strange oddities, might I say. They are these strange Metallic poles that stick out of the ground and have all these strange lights to them, not like those fancy decorated designed Lampposts that are everywhere. These Traffic Lights have three lights on them which are Red, Green and Orange/Yellow. The red means HOLD IT!!! you must stop. The Orange/Yellow one means to slow down (or in Irish Terms it means to speed up, we'll get through them before they turn red) and the green means GO. But how does it fully operate and what makes them change their colour light. Well let me explain.

So I ask that you visualise this in your head if you can. Let's say you have a four way Junction, with a traffic light post on each corner of the junction. The top Left and Bottom Right lights are for the the cars going vertical (up and down) and the top right and bottom left are the cars going horizontal (left and right). the way that they change is through the use of a small hidden pressure pad that is built into the roads, that is then connected to a sensor in the traffic lights that are all part of a connected wireframe that goes back to a control centre that handles the flow of traffic. So when there is a vehicle that stops at a red light at a junction, it would set off the pressure pad that would send a signal to the centre where they would monitor the flow of traffic in that area, see if there any cars moving perpendicular to idle car, they would then change the light for that route from green to orange/yellow to red and would then change the light from red to green letting the idle car finally move closer towards their destination.
here is the illustration of what I was talking about.

Comments

Popular Posts